Monday, February 04, 2002

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. -- Hebrews 11:1

Three weeks ago last night, I lost faith in myself. My hopes and dreams lost their substance and became ashes, my faith in the future became dust, and both blew away in a violent storm. I was left standing neck-deep in a reeking swamp. There was nothing in sight but murky water and mud, snakes and sawgrass, quicksand and alligators, and I could see no way out. The horizon was obscured by mist filled with ghosts and dread.

Three weeks later, I have worked my out to only waist-deep. Though my faith is still gone, I know that it is out there somewhere. One step at a time, one day at a time, I am moving toward it. When I get there, what a glorious feeling it will be to put on that armor and stride confidently out of this Slough of Despond and into the sunlight beyond! It is a long, steep, rocky road ahead, but I keep my eyes focused one step ahead and just take one more step today, one more step tomorrow, and the sun will shine on me again, one day.

I feel better for having said that. Thank you for listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home