Tuesday, August 31, 2004

I was sitting around this morning doing a self-evaluation (Ok, OK, I was wasting time and trying not to have to work on that damned novel). After getting back to work after my recent ... uh ..."vacation", I find that I am able to finish a lot of stories that I have started over the years and had to lay aside for one reason or another. Mostly that reason has been no clear idea of how to plot. I have a lot of stories that have a beginning and an end, but no middle. I am finding that I can now pick them up, plot them all the way through, and write out a first draft all in one sitting. This has really done wonders for my self-confidence. The fact that I am turning out stories that I think are good, with strong characters and a tight plot, is a huge boost. Critiquing other people's work is also, as always, giving me some real insights into my own work. I am finding errors much more easily and correcting them in ways that really contribute to the story.

Now that I'm through stroking my own ego, I have to get to work. Sorry Maggie, it's be nice knowing you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home