Monday, August 30, 2004

Submitted "Real Monsters" to The Georgia Review this afternoon. It's the first time I've ever submitted to a major market. I feel kind of on edge about it, like I'm waiting for the thunderbolt to strike me down for my hubris. It's going to be a long 4-8 weeks. I know I don't have a chance in Hell, but I guess I can't really know for sure unless I try.

I really need to get back to work on Washed in the Blood, but God I really don't want to write the next scene. I really like Maggie, and now I have to do some really horrible things to her. I really hate it, but the whole premise of the story hangs on this one scene. If I don't do it, the whole thing falls apart, and that is unacceptable. This is a story that I really need to tell. I just have to get my courage up and do it. I posted a goal of 3000 words this week on it, so I better get my butt moving.

I've been spending a lot of time reading stories on the Web the past couple of weeks, doing market research. I have been extremely disappointed by what I have found. There must be a lot of basically illiterate editors out there. I understand that a lot of them publish stuff from their friends and/or e-buddies as a favor, but I can't understand the complete lack of any standard of quality on most of these 'zines. I often get tempted to grade some of this crap and send it back to the editor and the author. Jeez! I have had to eliminate a lot of potential paying markets simply because I refuse to have my name associated with a site that publishes crap stories with misspellings, cliched plots, bad description, ungodly bad dialogue, and puerile errors that I knew about in the 8th grade, for God's sake!

Whew!

It is a relief when I do find a gem of a story out there, like I did recently when I saw "Raspberries" by Jennifer Loring on Bloodletters. It's excellently written, but very disturbing. Highly recommended.

L8r.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home