Thursday, December 09, 2004

Finished again

Finished "Carrion Comfort" for the third time. I think I nailed it this time. 3634 words. Net gain of 334 today. 8 potential markets lined up. First on the list is Dark Energy Speculative Fiction. I'll try to get it out tonight or tomorrow night. I have to get it out the door, else I'll pick and pick and pick at it and never be quite satisfied. At some point, I have to say it's done and ship it.

One of my biggest problems is just staying out of the way. I have a tendency to try to bend a story into what I think it should be. That never works. I either get blocked or wind up with something really bad and trash it. I know not to do this, but it's hard to let go and just let the story tell itself. With "Carrion Comfort", I wound up twice with the endings I wanted grafted onto the story, and they didn't work. This time, I was able to let the ending flow from the internal logic of the story and the mind of the Main Character. By doing that, I lifted it from a good story to a Damned Good Story. I feel good about its chances in the world.

Can I handle that much torque?

I'm mulling over the idea of opening another blog that I can use to write up my thoughts on my daily Meditation Card. I draw a card each morning from whichever one of my Tarot decks calls to me and think about the message it gives me. I have Rider-Waite, Legend: the Arthurian Tarot, The Mythic Tarot, and the Faery Wicca Tarot. All are beautifully drawn and carry different symbol sets. Usually, I use Rider-Waite, but sometimes others beg me to look. A blog might be a good way to warm up in the mornings. I'll sleep on it.

3 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Good luck with it. Crossed fingers for it's success.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

I just ordered Rider Waite and also the Vampire Tarot, just because I like the way it's drawn, and I'm thinking of using them as a way to plot character as well as order my thoughts.

Per your rewrite of "Carrion Comfort", I too get in the way of myself when I'm writing, and I'm working hard to break that habit, by having the confidence to let a story go when it's ready rather than burying it in the file for future review--that is, constantly starting over with it--or until better inspiration comes along. D:)

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Carter said...

The Tarot is really good for getting at what you're really thinking as far as characters, conflict, and plot. I often throw a card when I think I need to know a character better, especially if I don't understand his/her/its conflict.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home