Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!

And so another year dies a slow and agonizing death. Yes, it's time for the Post-Party Depression. The week after Christmas is always bleak for me. Everybody has been so jolly and giving and smiling and happy for the last month. Then, on December 26, it's back to the same old grouchy, rude, inconsiderate asshole-ness. That kind of hypocrisy is one of the reasons I don't really like Christmas. Where's the giving spirit in February when that needy family you gave toys to has to decide whether to have lunch the rest of the month or pay the gas bill? It's not the Christmas spirit, people, it's the Christian spirit. A true Christian would celebrate Christmas year-round and in all aspects of his/her life. Sadly, true Christians are in desperately short supply.

"What would Jesus do?" is one of the catch-phrases of today. Jesus told His disciples to give everything they had to the poor and travel the world preaching the Gospel and depending on the kindness of strangers for their sustenance. That's what He did. Draw your own conclusions.

Oh well, bitching ain't gonna fix it. Let's start looking ahead to 2005.

I am declaring a new start on Washed in the Blood. I have to lose about the first 8-10k words off the beginning so I can start with a bang. I'm thinking either the scene in Polly's kitchen or the discovery of Maggie's body would be good starting points, then bring in backstory as we go along. That means a new outline, etc. First, though, I am going to actually put together a "writer's notebook" on this project. I have resisted that so far, but I have learned that a first novel is just too big a project to run off-the-cuff. First step is character building. I will start on my charts tonight and try to have at least John, Maggie, Polly, and Thomas done by Monday. I already know them reasonably well, so it should go fairly quickly. Ultimately, I am shooting for a finished first draft by the end of the year.

Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet is also undergoing some radical changes. A friend offered me some insight on the story (Thanks, Dawn!) that has led it into new territory and new depth. Re-plotting is under way, and actual writing will commence apace (Monday, if not before).

Actually, I feel pretty good about 2004. I have learned a lot and pushed my writing to a new level. I feel like 2005 will be a breakout year for me. Anyweay, that's my dream, and I'm sticking to it!

Specific goals:

  1. Finished first draft of WITB: average of 2k words per week. I can do that.
  2. Finish and submit one short story per month. Also eminently do-able.
  3. Finish and submit one article for each issue of Vision (6 issues). No sweat.
  4. Minimum 25 points in the Great Rejection Slip Contest at Forward Motion. Made 10 points in 4 1/2 months this year, so that seems reasonable.
Lunch time's over. Back to the "real" job. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home