Thursday, December 16, 2004

Mama told me there'd be days like this

Got no words today. None. My mind feels like it's slogging through mud. Oh well. It'll get better.

Started reading instead. Rising by Brian Keene. Decent so far, but nothing to really get excited about. He has a fairly interesting take on zombies, but the plot is way derivative. Think The Stand with zombies instead of Superflu. So far, we have the middle-class white dude, the guy who let this thing loose on the world from some secret lab, the black junkie chick from the inner city, and the aging black minister. Stereotype characters, stock plot, I sure hope he's got some interesting twist coming up, or it'll be 7 bucks down the tubes.

On top of everything else, I want a cigarette so bad I can't stand it. I've been quit four years, now, but today the craving's back. I think it's just my mind getting in my way so I can't work.

Hey, you! Sit down and shut up! You ain't the boss of me!

Huh? What? Oh, hi, Mind. Oh, nothing. You know I just get carried away, sometimes. It's cool. No, no, everything's fine. Just go back to sleep. I'll call you when I need you.

Whew! That was close. Shhhhhh. Gotta go...

Real writers don't

On Silent Bounce this morning, Holly posted about having to put her Secret Project on hold because of requested changes that would have compromised the story. That's a tough decision for any writer, especially one who depends on these books to put food on the table and a roof over her family's head. That's having the courage of her convictions.

It's always refreshing to see someone who values principle over making a quick sale. It has to be hard to turn your back on money in the bank in order to preserve the integrity of your story, but it's a decision that every writer will probably face at some point in their career. I hope I have that kind of courage when my day arrives.

We all face this dilemma in small ways all the time. Compromise and win or stand firm and risk losing. Compromise usually wins. The vast majority of the time, the principles involved are not really worth fighting for. We give a little to get a little. The challenge comes when the decision involves compromising your vision, your dream, your passion for a story. That's when it gets hard. That's when the rubber meets the road, as they say. Will I have the courage to stand up and fight for my vision. I hope so. I'm sure I'll have the chance to find out one day.

1 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Hey Carter! That little talk with Mind had me LOL! It's so true. The holiday busies (that's plural for busy) has me in its grip. Every time I try to focus Mind--whose a harpy resembling an overly energetic monkey--starts hissing about all the things I have not done. My defense is to imagine a great big hand slapping Harpy into glaring silence. D:))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home