Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Readin', writin', and...uh...what's that other one?

Finished reading Rising by Brian Keene. The fact that this novel won the 2003 Best First Novel Stoker fills me with dismay. It's mediocre at best. Stereotyped characters following a predictable plot to an obvious and unsatisfying ending. If this is the best new novel in an entire year, then the horror novel is in a sorry state indeed. Maybe Washed in the Blood can start a new trend toward excellence. :)

Next on the TBR list is American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, followed by The Haunted Castle by Saint Theresa of Avila. No, it's not a ghost story. St. Theresa was a Catholic nun and mystic who had some interesting things to say about a person's relationship with God. After that, it will be time to re-read Writing the Breakout Novel with highlighter in hand.

Today's writing work was mostly preparation. I worked up character development worksheets that suit me by combining elements from 2 that are on the Web (1 from Eclectics.com and 1 from Inspiration for Writers). Just for laughs, I went over to facade.com and generated Tarot readings for my 4 major characters. I'll look at them over the next few days and see what gives. I'll do my own readings, of course, this was just for fun. I may even run horoscopes on them, we'll see.

As a change of pace from all the paperwork, I started writing the new version of "Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet". This time, I'm going to take a real good look inside everybody's head. It promises to be lots of fun.


1 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Creative writing is an art and an adventure. One of the joys is finding myself pursuing subjects I'd never thought of in the regular course of things, like tarot. I remember years ago buying a book on 18th century furniture. My friend at the time didn't understand why I'd want to read such a book. I explained I was researching setting details for an historical story. She looked at me as if I'd spoken in a foreign language. I remember another acquaintance not understanding my interest in the Renaissance period. She asked me several times in the space of five minutes WHY? and no answer I gave her was satisfactory. The interrogation ended only because her husband dragged her off. People.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home