Monday, December 06, 2004

Small progress

Rewrote the ending to "Carrion Comfort". Net gain -- 400 words. I'll let it rest until later in the week before doing a final edit. I'm considering resubmitting it to Wicked Hollow. They rejected it a couple of months ago with the comment that the ending didn't work. Otherwise they were very complimentary. I'll think on that.

Also rewrote "Done to Undeath" per Zette's suggestions and resubmitted it. Net gain of 200 words, there.

I have finished the first two section of Writing the Breakout Novel. They cover "Premise" and "Stakes". This is the book I have been looking for for years. Maass covers each topic succinctly yet thoroughly and gives examples to illustrate his points. He shows the what, why, how, and why of each aspect of a novel. Good stuff!

I now know not only how much work I have yet to do (I had only a suspicion, before), but how to go about doing it. With the insights, information, and ideas generated from this book and the exercise in the Workbook, I may not get my first draft done before the end of 2005. That's OK. I know now that when it's done, I'm going to have a bang-up novel.

2 Comments:

At 12:17 AM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Hi, Carter...I have the Maass books also and found them great creative tools. The book made me think about Swans in all its aspects, and like you, I realized how much work I still had to do. Then I got the workbook, and my thinking has become both practical and creative as I further develop Swans. Both books work together to fire the imagination. D:)

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Carter said...

I love (and am awed by) the way he shows you a 10,000-foot vertical wall that you have to climb without ropes or pitons in the sleet and hail, and leaves you overwhelmingly enthusiastic about doing it. I'll have to go back sometime and analyse some of the psychology he uses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home