Wednesday, January 26, 2005

...the race is not to the swift,

nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. Ecclesiastes 9:11

Sometimes, I have to stop and remind myself that this is not a race. If I miss a self-imposed deadline on one of my short stories, that's OK. If it were a real deadline, then stress would be appropriate. Right now, the most important thing is for me to take my time, learn the craft, and do the best I can. Breathe, relax. That's better.

So I took the day off from actually sitting at the computer typing. Stacked 2 stove cords of firewood, then worked on the subject index for Vision for a while. Oof! It's been a long time since I fooled with SQL, and I never got very deeply into it at that. Now I have to figure out how to do a complex query using JOINs. RIGHT, LEFT, INNER, OUTER, AAAAAGGGHHHH!!!. Deep-fried brains right now. Every time I think I have a hold on it, it slips away. I used to be pretty good at this stuff. Oh well, time steals all things.

Got a lot of thinking done, anyway. Looks like "The Easy Way Out" is going to turn to the dark side. Goody, goody, goody, goody. Heh-heh. Murder and mayhem are only a thought away. We likesss it, yessss my Precioussss.

1 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Chop wood. Carry water.

When you are in turmoil, distressed, confused, happy, angry ... chop wood. Carry water.

Best advice I ever found; sounds like you found it, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home