Thursday, January 13, 2005

But I'm feeling much better now!

My small explosion yesterday let me clear the decks and get back to work. I agree with Stephen King about monsters. In Danse Macabre, he says that the monster you can see is way less scary than the one you can't. He's right. If you bring your monsters out into the light, they usually shrivel up into nothing. I just have to keep working on those issues so they don't creep back down into the darkness and start to grow again.

A good work day

Not the most prolific in termns of wordcount, but extremely satisfying. Finishing things is always a good feeling.

Finished a final edit/readthrough on "The Easy Way Out" and sent it out to the crit group. I still have a couple of reservations about it, but I want to see what independent eyes have to say. Sometimes, I'm just paranoid.

Finished a crit and sent it out. Two more outstanding right now. I look to get one of them out on Sunday.

Made really good progress on the rewrite/transcription of "Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet". It's now at 5000 words, but the climactic scene is almost over, and all that's left is a short denouement scene. I might try to finish it tonight.

Also started making notes for the rewrite of "A Time To Every Purpose". It will be a job, but certainly doable. That's on the agenda for Monday morning. The worst part is that I'm going to have to get rid of my very favoritest sentence in the whole story. That sucks. Oh well, maybe I can use it again later. Like Holly says, sometimes you have to kill your darlings. (P.S. to Holly: I'm renaming the poem to "Mind Over Monkey". I like that better.)

I even found my Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell cassette. At last, the truth rears its ugly head. Yes, I do like Meat Loaf. For over-the-top dramatic rock-n-roll, there's none better. He always puts together a killer band, too. Just too much fun.

"Oh Baby, you're the only thing in this old world
That's pure and good and right.
And wherever you are and wherever you go,
There's always gonna be some light."

Coming up: Carriage House Review opens a new reading period on Saturday. I have "Carrion Comfort" waiting at the gate for them. It won't count on the January/February Dare because I last rewrote it in December. Whatever, I need to get some stuff in circulation. Can't get accepted if you don't submit.


1 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Glad to see you're feeling better! d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home