Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year!

2005 is here, whether we're ready for it or not. I feel optimistic about a new year for the first time in a long, long time. I'm finally making some progress in my life, accomplishing some things that I have always wanted to do, but have been too scared to try. What a wonderful feeling! After forty-mumble years of being weighed down by fear and sadness, I feel like I'm getting a whole new chance at life. Snoopy dance!

Finis!

Finished the first draft of the new and reborn "Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet". Still don't know how many words it is. I'll find out after I type it in, rewriting as I go. I think it's a damn fine story. It now has multiple layers and three pretty interesting characters.

Sidetracked

Started American Psycho. It's chilling, though I think a lot of it would be lost on somebody who was not a part of the 80's. As I was straightening up yesterday, I came across a copy of The Art of War by Sun T'zu. It's one I've wanted to read for many years, but never got around to it. For some reason, it demanded my attention las night. Damn good stuff. Anyone even remotely connected to military affairs should be required to memorize it and lve by it.

Another re-read added to my TBR stack: If You Had Controlling Parents by Dan Neuharth. Full of sound advice about what I am and am not responsible for in my life. I have to remind myself of these things sometimes.

Hit the ground running

I'm off on the Great Rewrite Quest. Margaret Fisk at Forward Motion started an e-mail crit groups for those of us signed up for the Short Story Rewrite Dare for January/February (I signed up for Apprentice Level to start with: 4 stories rewritten and submitted). I think first on my list will be a rewrite of "A Time To Every Purpose".

And finally...

A couple of links I found interesting:

Lake Superior State University Banished Words List for 2004
American Dialect Society Words of the Year


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home