Monday, January 17, 2005

Not as bad as I thought.

Just about through with the rewrite of "A Time To Every Purpose". Down to the last scene. I'm going to try to get it done tonight. I was able to salvage large parts of the original with some minor changes, so it went pretty quickly and was not a painful as I feared.

Getting critiques on it really helped me see the big flaws in it. Conflict and action, my two bugaboos. I have way too much a habit of writing essays instead of stories. That old Academic hag riding my back still. It pays to be paranoid about your education and what your teachers told you was the "right" way to do things. It ain't necessarily so.

Got two more crits to get done in the next couple of days plus reading over the revised "Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet" in preparation for another rewrite or major editing pass. I'll definitely send this one out to the crit group for some Honest-to-God evaluation. Too many online critters pull their punches for fear of hurting somebody's feelings. I do the same thing. With a small, private group, we can be brutally honest. It saves everybody a whole lot of time and eliminates misunderstanding. Hurt feelings get better; bad stories suck forever.

Pulled out my copy of Self-Editing for Fiction Writers (Rennie Browne and Dave King, ISBN 0-06-272046-5) and started a careful re-reading. Also reviewing On Writing the Short Story (Hallie Burnett, ISBN 0-06-463520-1). Emerson, Lake, and Palmer on the stereo (Trilogy). A real blast from the past.

Today's thought: Sometimes life's a cruel joke. Today I'm the punch line.

1 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Here's a cheer for your progress, Carter, finishing the rewrite and making progress...YAY CARTER! (Imagine bouncing smilie with happy arms here.) d:)))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home