Monday, February 28, 2005

Apparently, I dare not

Fell one short of the January-February 2005 Short Story Rewrite Dare (Apprentice Level) at Forward Motion. The goal was 4 stories of at least 1000 words each rewritten and submitted by midnight tonight. I actually submitted 5, but one was a turn-around with no editing -- "Real Monsters", which will appear on The Harrow Real Soon Now (maybe tomorrow) -- and the other was a flash -- "In the Hands of an Angry God", 400-something words submitted to Vestal Review-- so they don't count. The ones that do count are:

  • "A Time for Every Purpose" (Fantasy) submitted to Quantum Muse 2/2/2005
  • "Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet" (Horror or Dark Fantasy) submitted to Cemetery Dance 2/28/2005
  • "Carrion Comfort" (Dark Mainstream or Literary) submitted to The Chattahoochee Review 2/28/2005
On the other hand, I'm ahead of the game on my submission goal for 2005. I set a goal of 1 per month finished and submitted, and I have 4 so far. Yay, me!

I'm going to skip the next Dare and work on Washed in the Blood for a while.

Herb magic

Set out some more herbs today:

Sage
Sweet Marjoram
Greek Oregano
Bee Balm
Lemon Balm
and for the youngest of the family: Catnip (as if she weren't psychotic already :/ )

My bok choi is all bolting to seed, it's a bust, but the broccoli is really taking off. 4 more weeks, and I can set out tomatoes, peppers, squash, and cucumbers.

Magic day

Grey, chilly, steady drizzle all day. The kind of day that drives the cold into my bones. The only thing that will warm me up is a cup of tea or hot cocoa (sugar-free, of course) by the fireplace with a cat on my chest and a dog on my feet. What's not to like?

This kind of weather puts me into a sort of contemplative melancholy mood. A lot of story ideas come out of that.

Cleaning up

Went upstairs yesterday and started sorting through books. I have too many. No I don't! Yes I do! Do not! Do too! Y'all just shut up and let me work! :)

There is no such thing as too many books, actually, but I have to make space for future purchases, so the torn-up ones go in the ... in the ... in the trash. You'll just have to imagine the screams of agony. Volumes that have been read too many times, except for a very few, and the ones that I don't think I will ever get to go into boxes for the public library's annual book sale.

An unfortunate side effect of this project is that my To Be Read list has ballooned to elephantine proportions. I came across a lot of things I had completely forgotten I had. First on that list (and already started) is Mythologies by W. B. Yeats. This is a compilation of stories from his various collections of Irish folk tales and legends. Fascinating.

1 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Yay, you! Read "Real Monsters." Very nice, Carter. Fine story, well executed. d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home