Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Gettin' Down to the Wire

It's February 15th, and I have three short sotires in various stages of revision. I am trying to get them out the door before the end of the month to finish the Dare I signed up for at Forward Motion. As usual, the closer I get to finishing, the harder things get. Still pushing forward, though. I spent the weekend thinking about "Wolf Moon" and decided to take Creative License with the Vikings. This story is not really about them, anyway. It's more of a myth, and there are a couple of minor issues that will just have to stay not quite true to life in order to preserve the integrity of the story. I'm considering sending this one to the Writers of the Future. Do I dare? Do I dare disturb the Universe? Is there no balm in Gilead? Stay tuned.

Next up is some revision work on "Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet". It's still on track to out to Cemetary Dance. Revisions should not take more than a couple of days.

The final one is "Carrion Comfort". I'm not entirely sure where to send this one yet. It's very dark literary or mainstream, I guess. I may try Chattahoochee Review. I think it just needs some minor touch-up, so it shouldn't be a problem.

"Wolf Moon remains my major hang-up at this point. I keep finding ways to avoid fooling with it. It only needs two scenes rewritten and 2, possibly 3 scenes added. One thing is that I'm still scared of this story. It originally came out in such a rush of white heat that it feels Holy to me somehow, like it's the true voice of the Muse. I feel like I should take my shoes from off my feet for I stand on Holy ground.

Come on! It's a short story! Quit making up reasons to delay and get going! I'm hoping we get some more rain soon, so I won't have any excuse to go work in the yard or garden.

So What about Washed in the Blood?

It's still rattling around in there. After this Dare is over, I'll take the next couple of months away from short stories, except as a distraction, and put some more development into it. I really need to go ahead and finish this first draft, even though I know it's flawed in some major ways. It's not permanently broken, but I have to get over my perfectionistic tendencies and move.

Hmmmmm....sounds like a theme of some sort here. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home