Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Mama didn't tell me there'd be days like this

Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak
Somewhere in the town
Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak
So don't you be around
Tonight there's gonna trouble
I'm gonna find myself in
911 -- "Jailbreak"

Well, actually a prison break. Spending 2 years as a prison librarian has left me with a lifetime of nightmares. Fought this one all night. Still foggy and headachy. Real hard to concentrate.

Got an e-mail from my father this morning. There's a job opening for an assistant librarian at his alma mater, Kentucky Christian University. There are a lot of reasons for me to apply for this job:

  • It would make Daddy happy
  • I love the location--Grayson, KY is in the Appalachian Mountains. In Carter County, no less.
  • I really need a full-time job with benefits--medical bills are driving us crazy.
  • Better pay and lower cost of living.
BUT

There is one really big reason not to even consider it:

  • I would be the biggest hypocrite in the entire world if I took a job in an institution that supports a religion that I do not support.
'Nuff said. Now all I have to do is figure out how to tell Daddy without really hurting his feelings. Damn.

On the positive side, I did make a lot of progress against the jungle that constantly threatens to take over our yard. Brush-cutting with hand tools is wonderful therapy. Lots of opportunity to cuss and throw things around.

The down side of getting better

"Real Monsters" has been nagging at me for a couple of days. When I proofread the galleys, an awful lot of faults drew my eye. Unfortunately, these are fundamental flaws in the story like logic faults and timing that it's too late to fix. I've already been paid, and the editor has already made space for the story. Withdrawing it now would generate a lot of bad karma that I just don't need. I'll just have to let it go ahead and be embarassed by it. Should it ever get sold to an anthology, though, it will be in a new version.

That's the down side of improving your craft. Your early stuff will most assuredly come back to haunt you.

A lost day

I have spent all day thinking it is Tuesday. Where did Tuesday go? Did somebody out there get an extra one, and can I buy it? Deadlines are inexorably slouching closer and closer. I don't think I will get "Wolf Moon" done in time to send it out on Monday. I'll try. Miracles do happen.

In the meantime, I need to get "Carrion Comfort" whipped into shape. One major flaw that all of my stories have in early drafts is slow starting. I have some need to ease into things. I will need to move the first scene into a flashback and jump right into the action. That won't be too hard. There are also a couple of leftover bits from earlier versions that just don't fit well anymore, so I have to root them out. I think I also need a scene with Brian undergoing a police interrogation. I might be able to work that in by reference in the penultimate scene. That's on tomorrow's agenda. It will be raining, so I should be able to get a lot done.

WWJD?

This idea has been nagging me for several days. What would Jesus do after witnessing 2 millenia of horrors committed in his name? Many people don't remember that Jesus had a temper--the Cleansing of the Temple, "I came not to send peace, but a sword" (Matthew 10:34), etc. Brings a whole new dimension to "Jesus wept". I'll have to find a new angle on this, since it's been done so much.

Current marketing plans

"Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet" -- Cemetery Dance (to be mailed 2/28)
"Carrion Comfort" -- Chattahoochee Review (to be mailed 2/28)
"Wolf Moon" -- Writers of the Future (to be mailed when ready)
"In the Hands of an Angry God" -- flashquake (to be e-submitted after rewrite)

1 Comments:

At 6:22 AM, Blogger Jean said...

For whatever it may be worth, I believe there are many people who work at religious organizations who do not practice or believe in the religion the institution advocates. It's employment.

I worked at a Catholic college (I am not Catholic) for several years, and I sincerely doubt the lay employees all embraced Catholicism. Of course, just because other people may do it, that's not reason enough for you to do so. Just offered as food for thought if that was your only reason for not considering something it sounds as if you might otherwise want to pursue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home