Monday, March 21, 2005

Dragons

Watched Dragons on Animal Planet last night. You must see this! The CGI effects are awesome. The courtship scene is absolutely spectacular! The producers put a lot of thought into this film and a lot of work bringing dragons to life.

My only quibble with them is that they portray dragons as non-sentient animals driven by instinct. We all know that's not true, don't we? Dragons were (some say are) intelligent beings at least on a par with humans. The comparison is somewhat difficult, though. Very large, semi-magical flying reptiles of necessity think much differently than mundane, barely-out-of-trees simians. Apples and oranges.

Dragons typify the magic that exists in the world. They are mysterious and powerful, deadly alien, the dangerous unknown that is just beyond our understanding. Man's relationship with dragons exemplify the best and the worst of the human spirit. At the same time we see how the human race accepts challenges and triumphs over seemingly overwhleming odds and our very real penchant for destroying the unknowable and uncontrollable.

If dragons had never existed, we would certainly have had to create them.

The pain of it all

So on top of everything else, I strained my back yesterday. Son-of-a-bitch it hurt! Still does when I move wrong, which is often. Sometimes I have to be forcibly dragged back into the physical plane and forced to acknowledge the world around me. I also need to whacked on the head occasionally and reminded of one very important concept:

When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that your original intention was to drain the swamp.

I often think that my life needs a warning label.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home