Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Laughing all the way

"Real Monsters" is now up at The Harrow. My second paid publication. I could get used to this.

Thanks, Debra, for the kind words. As I said in a previous post, there are parts of it I really want to change. It's like an unscratchable itch. Oh well, "Your sins will find you out", as they say. Does that urge to edit just one more time ever stop?

A novel approach

I've been thinking for a long time about applying some business planning practices to novel writing. The parallels between writing a novel and a business project are apparent, at least to me. Toward that end, I am applying business planning to Washed in the Blood. The steps I forsee are:

  • Writing a Mission Statement for the novel so I can keep my focus on the Big Picture stuff.
  • Writing a Strategic Plan which lays out the major steps I need to take.
  • Breaking the Strategic Plan down into specific goals.
  • Developing an Action Plan for each goal specifying the steps to accomplish that goal and the schedule.
I began this morning by writing the Mission Statement and a beginning on the Strategic Plan. Now I begin work on breaking this thing down into manageable chunks. I will keep the WIP page on my Web site updated with progress, as well as reporting significant milestones here.

1 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

That's a great idea and a good plan, Carter. I followed the same philosophy a few years ago to focus myself on my writing and I've found that thinking of the work in the way that a business thinks of and plans its strategy really works to keep you focused. And I love your novel as written in the Mission Statement! That sounds like a good book! D:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home