Thursday, March 03, 2005

A Random Walk

Today's topic is anything and everything, randomized for your protection. This has been a bad headache day, and I haven't gotten much done except thinking. I did manage to get the WIP page updated. I'm thinking about throwing together a Gantt chart to give me a visual indicator of progress. That will help keep me out of the Slough of Despond.

First on the list is a big "Amen!" for Holly's comment in one of today's posts on Silent Bounce:

"...there is nothing in life better than having people who love you."

Truer words have never been spoken. Thank you, Holly for reminding us of the important things.

Maggie comes through

After yesterday's peek into the underside of Maggie's brain, down where the slimy things live, I realized that I now have an entry point into the story. This has been a problem since I first started thinking about this novel. I have been writing in strictly chronological order, which leades to a deadly slow beginning. Now I know where to start. The new beginning means lopping off the Prologue (which now becomes backstory for Michael to use in trying to convince Polly of Thomas's true nature) and Chapters 1 and 2. Chapter 1 may crop up as the new Chapter 2-- that's still in the air. All of this means that I will lose about 1/3 of my existing words. That's OK. A lot of them will be recycled in a different form somewhere along the way. That is good progress.

Raising the Stakes

Maass talks about "raising the stakes" for your characters a lot. I see his point.

How high can the stakes go? What is the single thing your character is most ashamed of? What is the one thing that she will fight to the last extremity to avoid exposing? What is the one thing that would ruin her life?

Maggie has told me about hers, but what about John and Polly? Their turns on the stand will come soon enough. Hmmmm. What about Thomas? That could make things very interesting.

Speaking of Thomas, his motives still remain cloudy to me. I need clarification. Whay is he doing these horrible things? And why to these particular people? There must be something in John's past that has provoked Thomas, but I can't see what it is. It would have to be something powerful. Strange things live in the mountains, and primal powers still flow freely there. We'll see.

Name change

Polly has to assume a new identity. I don't remember where "Polly" came from in the first place, but it's just wrong. John and Maggie would have drawn their daughter's name either from the Bible or from an ancestor. I come down on the side of the Bible. Some possibilities include:

Mary
Martha
Madeleine (from Magdalen)
Dorcas
Priscilla
Esther
Judith
Deborah
Elizabeth
Naomi
Ruth
Sarah

Maybe Ruth, given Polly's history. I wish I could remember the name of the woman who cut off the invading king's head with his own sword. More research.

I guess I've done my part to promote global warming for now.

1 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Hi! It was Judith (if I'm remembering my biblical history correctly) who beheaded Holofernes with his own sword. d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home