Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Blog That Ate My Brain

Demented Michelle and Paperback Writer are both metablogging today (that's blogging about blogging for the Greek-challenged). Who am I to avoid putting my nose in where it doesn't belong?

For me, blogging is a semi-social event. I get to exercise my (God-given) right to express my (dumbass) opinions in public, and visitors here can post their responses if they should think it's worthwhile. I get both catharsis and feedback, a pretty good deal for a few minutes a day. The down side, of course, is that I probably have driven off quite a few potential readers. That's the price I have to pay for speaking my mind.

If I just wanted to vent, couldn't I do that better in a private diary? Yes, and I do write about those things that are not public knowledge or anyone else's business. Blogging is a tool that I use to help me organize my thoughts on a subject and make sure that they are at least minimally cohesive and coherent. As a side benefit, Noise in the Attic readers get a look inside my head. I know it's often not pretty and sometimes needs to be rated X, but it's who I am. Warts and all, as they say.

Will blogging help my writing career? It certainly has so far. By giving me writing practice and exercising my brain, this blog has been a great benefit so far. Will it help me sell books? Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves. First, I have to have a book...

1 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Blogger Demented M said...

When have you offended people? Your blog is pretty even handed.

So, some things are supposed to be private? I didn't get that memo.

M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home