Friday, April 08, 2005

If I only Had The Noive

"Metaphorically Speaking" is now complete in first draft at 888 words. That looks kind of wimpy to me. Wishy-washy. It feels like it should either be twice as long or half as long. I'll worry about that next week. For now, it goes onto the pile to cool off.

The big question with this essay is whether or not to query Writer's Digest and/or The Writer Magazine about it. I guess I'll never know if I don't try. It only costs 37 cents, and they can't be any ruder than some editors who have rejected me (and who shall remain nameless. Their day will come.). Besides, I need to start getting practice with query letters. Then, there's the whole question of "Earth, Air, Fire,Water" as a follow-on article…

Also got another 177 words on "Wolf Moon". Pretty slow progress right now. The current scene is one in which the protagonist has to establish his credentials as a warrior, in fact a Berserker. The problem is to do this without turning him into a vicious thug. I need for the reader to stay sympathetic, but I also need this bloody, violent scene, because it sets up everything that happens afterward. It's a high wire over Niagara Falls.

CAUTION: Religious rant follows. Turn back while you still can.

Separation of church and state is a real hot issue with me. I totally oppose any effort by the government to show support for any particular religion. My religion is my business, and it's going to stay that way.

So what brought this on? A J. C. Penney sale announcement. It seems they're having a special sale for "teachers and educators" (what's the difference? Different rant for a different time) on April 17th from 11 am until 8 pm. There is an asterisk by the 11am. The fine print says: "Except where prohibited by law." Huh? Oh, I get it. April 17th is a Sunday.

Regulating commerce in accordance with one single religion's customs is a very definite infringement on the rights of those of use who do not follow that particular religion. I resent that. I resent it alot. I have always resented not being able to buy alcohol on Sunday. Hell, you can buy all the liquor you want on Saturday. Shouldn't we restrict alcohol sales then, too, on behalf of the Jews? Or maybe make alcohol illegal altogether in support of the Moslems, Mormons, and others?

Freedom of religion implies freedom from religion. That is my theory of government: Keep your hands out of my pocket and your nose out of my business. Can you tell April 15th is coming? I always get grumpy this time of year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home