Monday, April 25, 2005

More Thoughts on "What Dreams May Come"

Thanks for the comments, Michelle and Mik! Much appreciated. My thoughts about your thoughts generated more thoughts which led to this post.

Mik, I agree. The whole Chiclets thing is really bad. This is an illustration of the dangers in reaching too hard for an image. Sometimes, you overbalance and wind up face down in the latrine. It's often better to just stay with the mundane and let the reader make the picture. Oh, and creepy is good. I like creepy. Maybe because I am creppy? Heh, heh.

Michelle (the Demented one, I mean), the ending is forced and hurried. This is not at all the ending that it will eventually have, though what's there suggests some interesting directions to explore. The reason for the quick-and-dirty ending is because this is just the roughest of rough drafts. When I got to that point, Real Life Issues called me away (work, etc. Bleh), and I just had to wrap it up.

See, this snippet is an example of the things I've been moaning about for the past couple of weeks. I have worked myself into a corner. I have spent many hours "learning to write" and forgotten how to really write. I've stifled my Muse with all my worries about mechanics, at the same time giving even more strength to the Dreaded Internal Editor. I finally find myself unable to write. Not blocked, just doubtful and afraid.

This snippet is an attempt to get back what I have lost -- the spontaeity, freshness, the flow of words bubbling up out of the ground like Jed Clampett's oil. I really miss that.

I originally write the first paragraph some months back and put in my "Ideas" file for future reference. At my ever-so-often review, this paragraph clicked with something, and I deceided to let it run and see what happened. Overall, I'm pretty pleased.

Future considerations for this particular story include the fact that this has happened to him before. Once the dreams start, they get worse and worse and finally end tragically. He lost one wife/love/SO/whatever before and doesn't want to lose Leah the same way. I don't understand the way this works, so I may just have to "let loose the dogs of war" and follow them wherever they may lead. At least that's usually fun.

Anyway, that's just a quick glimpse inside the mind of an insane write-wannabe. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

4 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

You said how I've been feeling about my own writing lately. It seems the muse has deserted me and I'm trying to locate her. I'm about to put out an ad in the personals. Hm.. wouldn't that be a fun exercise? :)

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Carter said...

We should start a support group. How about Writers In Muse Pursuit Support?

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Demented M said...

Ahh I see, I took it as more of a finished snippet than a wip.

The chiclets were an odd image, I have to admit, but I kind of liked it. I could certainly 'see' her teeth.

So W.I.M.P.S, huh? I don't know that wimpy pursuit works with Muses. Try kidnapping and beating into submission. Works like a charm.

M

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Carter said...

I dunno. I tried the whole caveman thing, but she's just too damn fast, and I kept breaking my clubs hitting the ground. Thought I'd try the sensitive (i.e., wimpy) approach and see if I have any better luck. Know any good pick-up lines for Muses?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home