Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Openings

This week's selection for the Horror Book Club at DearReader is Like Death by Tim Waggoner. Since I subscribed to this book club (they send out excerpts of books by e-mail), I have mainly been disappointed in the quality of the horror fiction that has been presented. This book, though, has something special--a real hook. You can read the first chapter and decide for yourself, but I am impressed. Warning: violence and adult language.

Waggoner has reached deep inside me and pulled something out that is visceral, something slimy, stinky, and real. From the first sentence, the intensity is, well, intense. He does not try to spare my delicate sensibilities. He does not back away and let me hear about it third hand. He puts me right into the protagonist's mind, seeing through his eyes, smelling through his nose, hearing through his ears.

This is how to open a novel. Conflict? Oh, boy! neck deep from the first step. Understanding a character? What better introduction than to witness something like this from inside his head? I definitely think this is worth further study.

2 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger Demented M said...

Hmmm. It got my attention, but didn't hold it. Well written, nice imagery, but just didn't keep me invested as a reader.

What can I say? I'm a hard, hard sell.

The thing about horror, is anyone can write a murder gorefest and they do. We're so saturated with blood on TV, in movies, in books etc... that it's lost its punch.


Michelle

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Good writing. I could see the situation, but I did not feel compelled to read on. But I think my prejudice is showing--I do not like gore scenes written through the eyes of a child. (As an aside, one of the reasons I do not read serial killer fiction is that I do not find the minds of psychotic killers intriguing.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home