Sunday, April 03, 2005

Thank You, Deer

Thanks, Jean, for reminding me that deer are indeed beautiful, graceful creatures and a joy to behold. It's only when they intrude on my human activities by eating my vegetables and fruit trees or by jumping in front of my car in the middle of the night that they become vile, curse-worthy vermin. :)

Perspective makes all the difference, doesn't it? Most misunderstandings could be avoided if we would just stop and consider a different perspective and allow that it may also be valid. Why is that so difficult? I think it's because the vast majority of people are so afraid they may be wrong that they cannot allow themselves to grant the existence of any other perspective on an issue. This stiff-necked attitude is what leads to such anger and bitterness in the world. All around, I see people shouting at each other, waving their fists, even killing each other over issues that are not really worth the stress. People can hold differing opinions and still be good people. It is, in fact, quite possible to be friends with people who do not hold the same beliefs. All you have to do is "agree to disagree" and recognize the fact that most people most of the time are not going to change their beliefs or opinions just to please you. Can't we all just get along? Yes, we can. Why can't we all just get along? That's the big question, and the one too few people will ask.

Train of thought going cross-country again

In the course of doing some research for my boss's boss, I ran across this article on "teachable metaphors". Fascinating stuff. The author's comments in this article about her metaphors for writing poetry sparked an article idea that demanded that I write it right now. So I started on it. I had to stop for a few hours because of Real Life, and when I came back, this article had sparked an off-shoot article that was jumping up and down and screaming at me, so I had to shift gears and start on it.

The first article is entitled "Metaphorically Speaking" and is about the benefits and dangers of thinking about the writing process metaphorically. The current monkey on my back is entitled "Earth, Air, Fire, Water" and is about how gardening helps me define my personal writing process. This is a grand process of exploration and has opened new pathways for me to walk while I come to an understanding of my own drives and needs in my writing. Very exciting.

Speaking of which...

Planted corn today. Early Sunglow Hybrid. Grows 4 feet tall and yields 2 ears per plant ideally. With 45 plants, I should be able to get some for the freezer. Broccoli is going strong and should begin yielding soon. Tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers are all coming along fine, as well. Once the weather stabilizes into a more constant temperature range, they shold really take off. Next on the agenda is to plant peppers. I have the plants, just haven't set them out yet. I also have lima beans and okra seed to plant, but I will try to hold off for another week on them to be sure the warmth is here to stay.

Continuing disgust

A&E aired "The Terry Schiavo Story" last night. No, I did not watch it. I already know what happened, and I have no desire to see some network executive's sleazy attempt to squeeze a few dollars from this really unfortunate series of events. In spite of my continuing hopes and illusions, I continue to witness new lows in taste. I feel a need to throw up now.

4 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Corn? You planted Corn? if you plant tomatoes, too, I'm coming over for dinner when they come up! :-)

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Tara said...

I see. You planted tomatoes... Must get caffeine... and read more carefully.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Carter said...

The corn's an experiment for me. If I get any, we can put some corn and chicken on the grill and have sliced tomatoes on the side. I'll let you know what happens. :-)

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Just came back from Colorado Springs and as we were turning the corner from our hotel to our meeting facility, there were three mule deer calmly munching beside the road. Oblivious to human activity. Later in the day, we saw the same three deer accompanied by a nicely racked buck out the conference room window. Obviously, these deer had adapted to the environment, much like the ones near my place have.

But you're absolutely correct that they can be a royal pain in the behind as well as darned dangerous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home