Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Unabashed Thievery and Other Writerly Occupations

Article ideas are coming hot and heavy today. Here are the current crop:

"Naked With My Hair On Fire, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love to Blog" - an article about why I find blogging so useful to me as a writer and what I have learned about what to do and what not to do. I've had this idea percolating for a couple of months. Finally got a good outline and about 500 words of detailed notes on it. Now trying to decide who to query about it. It doesn't quite fit Writer's Digest, and I already have one query at The Writer. Hmmm.

Now for the Unabashed Thievery part. Holly's post yesterday about Concorder for the Mac got the wheels turning.* This looks like something I would really like, but I only have Win-DOH!-s. Off to Google, where I tracked down 2 free and 2 Web-based applications that are similar. Also 1 that purports to analyze grammar. I haven't put it to the test yet, so I don't know what it means by that. We'll see. The article idea is either a review of the software or an article about text analysis and what it can do for you with a list of software at the end. Probably destined for submission to Vision.

Note to users of Windows: When writing an article, if you need a screen shot, use either PRINT SCREEN to copy the screen to the Clipboard or CTRL-PRINT SCREEN to copy only the current window to the Clipboard. From there you can either Paste into your document or into Paint so you can save it as a GIF, BMP, JPG, etc. You don't need to spend a whole lot of money on screen capture software to do this for you.

I also have a niggling idea about the close relationship between humor and fear in horror fiction and how easy it is to cross the line into over-the-top camp.




* It's amazing how often I have this happen when I'm poking around in Silent Bounce. Holly has been an everlasting fount of inspiration since I first ran across Mugging the Muse in 2001. Thanks, Holly! No way to repay; one day I'll find a way to pay it forward.

3 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger Demented M said...

Hey, I think we're on the same wavelength. I was just thinking of doing an article on blogging (but with no market in mind). I think I want to do a panel at next year's Con and I want to get my thoughts down.

Don't worry, my take I think is different than yours :).

M

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Carter said...

The more the merrier!

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

OooO.. I think a blogging article would be awesome. Good luck with that. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home