Monday, May 23, 2005

Garden Status

A near-disaster averted, I hope. A thunderstorm came through Friday afternoon with heavy rain and high wind. Knocked the corn flat. Terrible timing, as it is just beginning to show spikes on top. I spent Saturday going through and hilling up each individual stalk. Oh, my aching back! It still looks good. Fingers crossed.

The broccoli harvest is almost done. I might be able to get one more small cutting of side shoots before the plants die in the heat. Good harvest, almost 6 pounds so far. Since the wife and I both dearly love fresh broccoli, none of it made it to the freezer.

The first little squashlet and several little cukelets have made their appearances. I probably ought to go ahead and get some jars and some pickling spice, so I'll be ready when the cuke deluge hits.

Pole beans are running and getting ready to bloom. So are the lima beans. Everything else is growing and blooming, but no harvestables yet.

4 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Demented M said...

Hi! Tag you're it! Check out my blog for details.

M

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

I love fresh veggies. There's nothing better than home grown!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Steve said...

A garden is one of those things I plan to do "when I have time." Someday...

Bottom Feeder

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Tisha from Texas said...

My crop of dandelions and crabgrass has come in nicely, and I haven't had to do a thing.
The last time I tried to grow a garden the police came...thank goodness I had the package from which the seeds came OR I'd be writing this from the pokey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home