Thursday, May 26, 2005

If I Only Had...

In a comment on my last garden update, Bottom Feeder said he has plans to have a garden "when I have time". If I only had time. If I only had a heart. If I only had courage. If I only had a brain. If I only knew why I'm so hung up on the Wizard of Oz lately.

When I have time. How many times have I said that to myself? When I have time, I'll:
  • garden
  • write
  • get re-acquainted with my wife
  • do yard work
  • clean the house
  • organize my books
  • go see my parents
Here's the problem: I'll never "have time". I have to make time. I have all the time there is. It's my choice how I use it. I do have time to do all these things, just not all at once. I have to set priorities and balance "musts" against "needs" against "wants". It's my choice.

What do I want from life? That's the question. Do I want to live my life working and worrying, or would I rather mine life for the gems and metals that it has to offer and make jewelry from them? Tough choice, huh? Which path will leave me the fewest regrets when I look back 50 years from now?

My choice. From this day forward, 8am until 10am Saturday through Thursday will be writing time. I'll take Friday as my much-needed day of rest. That's my choice. 12 hours every week. 7% of the week, I will devote to actually turning words into electrons. That's less than a tithe.

Even better, I will do this and not feel guilty that I am taking time away from other things. Even allowing 37 hours for work and 8 hours travel time, there are still 111 hours left. 56 for sleep leaves 55 hours for all the other things I must, need, want to do. Cool, huh? I don't have to feel guilty. I have plenty of time. I have all the time there is.

4 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Jean said...

And you are so right. We all have the same amount of time--but how do we use it? Ah, that's the issue.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Yeah, that's the issue. Setting priorities can be really hard. Sometimes you have to give a want for a need. That can cause some bad feelings inside.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Maybe take a couple of those hours and come work on my garden. :)
You are right here, of course.

--Bottom Feeder
http://bottom-feeder.blogspot.com

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Thanks for making that more obvious for me. There is TONS of time I could do thing!

I hope your schedule works out for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home