Monday, June 13, 2005

Baby Steps

I now have two articles about managing diabetes up on Associated Content. Well, OK, it's not Writer's Digest, but it's a paid publishing credit. That's important to me right now. I really need the ego boost that comes from seeing that e-mail from PayPal saying that somebody has actually paid me for writing something. Anything. I have to start somewhere...

Washed in the Blood is tugging on my pants leg and whimpering. Some pretty major changes are going to have to happen. John is no longer going to be a traveling minister. He now is the pastor of a small church back in the North Georgia mountains. The novel opens now with him preaching at a camp meeting near his home town in Virginia. He falls victim to a random evil that happens kind of on the spur of the moment as Thomas is passing by and can't resist the temptation to see what happens. I think this gives the story more of a bolt-from-the-blue, no-apparent-reason, Job-style aspect. It also helps me increase John's isolation, so he has to deal with this on his own.

These developments are causing me to lose a character who was going to be part of a sub-plot involving Deborah and would contribute to the set-up of the sequel. I'm still exploring that, but if it turns out that his ONLY function is setting up the sequel, then he's history. This story comes first. The next book has to wait.

I will really be glad, and my life will be so much easier, when I am able to recognize plot and character problems sooner, so I don't spend weeks trying to fix a broken story and falling into despair and self-butt-kicking because I can't write the damned thing. That will come with time, but I'm just too impatient. I want it now! I'll whine and cry and hold my breath until I turn blue until I get what I want! Heh. Like anybody cares.

Baby steps. I may be slow, but I'll get there.

4 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Congratulations! Dude, my first two sales were sonnets, at $25 bucks apiece.

You get there how you get there.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Stationery Queen said...

I did Write for Cash before they shut down. It's similar to the place you published. A credit is a credit, my friend. All that really matters is how you put the words together. :)

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Thanks, Holly! I'm just too impatient. I can't understand why everybody can't recognize my genius and...oh. Yeah, baby steps. ;-)

I did a couple of articles (anonymously) for Write for Cash, too. I didn't really like their rights policy, and the pay was way too low, but it bought a couple of Christmas presents and provided some good experience. Every word helps.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

I know what you mean about getting paid. Everytime I get paid for my serials, I feel so...accomplished! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home