Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Meltdown

The eternal darkness of an unfettered mind. The zombie story I started yesterday has settled into the deepest recesses of my mind. Sometime during the past 24 hours, the control rods failed and now I have a full-scale China Syndrome "event" underway in there. Here is a brief summation of some of what has floated to the top of the slag heap today.

After the zombies complete their takeover and have killed and/or consumed all living humans, what next? Dogs, horses, cats? All warm-blooded creatures? Would it stop there? What about fish, reptiles, cold-blooded creatures? What about bugs? Bacteria? Viruses? Amoebae? Where does it stop? Plants, too? What about slime molds and other planimals? If there is a cut-off point, then what happens to the Earth's ecology? My brain hurts. There's probably a novel in here somewhere. This one goes into the "For Further Review" file for later.

What about vampires? If a vampire is killed while the zombie conversion is going on, does it rise as a zombie? Vambie? Zompire? This is just too weird a concept. I'm going to have to go deeper into it.

How about werewolves? A werewolf is killed and its human remains interred. It rises as a zombie. On the night of the next full moon...

Plant zombies. I'm definitely sick. Zombie kudzu. AAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGHHHHH!!!! Zombie daffodils?

A mind is a terrible thing. Just say no.

This illustrates why writers should try new things, stretch themselves, explore lands unknown to them. I've never written or even attempted a zombie story before. The cross-pollination is astounding me. The stew is really bubbling now. What have you tried lately that's new and exciting? In writing, I mean--get your mind out of the gutter.

2 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Blogger Stationery Queen said...

I'm writing a business brief for a local magazine. I've never done that before. I saw they had a feature for new stores in their latest issue, thought of a cool store I discovered about a month ago, pitched the idea to the editor and that, as they say, is that. I got the gig, that doesn't pay an overwhelming amount, BUT adds a really nice credit to my growing list of publications! Woot!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Awesome! Congratulations!

It takes courage to pitch something you haven't done before, but getting the assignment makes you want to do a bang-up job on it. I always try harder when I'm learning something or proving a point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home