Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Principles

OK, I've had enough. It's time to fight back. I am forming the Fuck Censorship Webring which is dedicated to opposing censorship whenever and wherever it is found. I have composed these Statements of Principle to guide us:




  • Freedom of speech and its concomitant, Freedom of Thought, are essential human rights. All humans have the rights to think for themselves, form their own opinions, and express their opinions in ways that do not cause harm to other humans.

  • Attempts to curtail these freedoms for any reason are wrong and we will oppose them whenever and wherever they are found.

  • Tolerance of differing opinions, even those we find personally offensive, is fundamental to the exercise of Freedom of Speech for all. We defend the rights of all humans to hold and express opinions that differ from ours. We agree that we can disagree in a mature, civilized, adult manner, without anger or hatred.

  • We, the members of the Fuck Censorship Webring hold these Statements of Principle to be true representations of our beliefs. Our membership in the Fuck Censorship Webring shows our determination to oppose censorship through our words and actions at all times.

Heather was kind enough to make us a logo.

Please bear with me for a couple of days while I get the code sorted out. I'll let you know when everything is ready.




Will I catch hell for doing this? I fully expect to. Will it one day come back around and bite on the ass? I fully expect that, too. Will that stop me? No.

As I have said before, and will again, some principles are worth the sacrifice, some principles, I absolutely will not betray. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Thought are the foundations of liberty. The Founding Fathers of the United States thought so highly of free speech that they made it the very first item on the Bill of Rights. I cannot and will not sit back and moan and groan and let my freedoms be slowly leached away in the names of "security" and "morality". Fuck off! I am an adult. I am wholely and solely responsible for what I say, think, and do. As long as I'm not infringing on your rights, you can just butt out of my business.

I don't think I am by myself on this, but I am concerned about how many people really have the courage to stand up and be counted. I know my blog buddies do, but how many others? Whatever. Even if I were absolutely alone, I would still speak my mind. I can compromise many things, but not my integrity. When I die, I want to have a clear conscience. I want to know that I did the best I could and did not sell myself out.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home