Saturday, June 11, 2005

When Real Life Attacks

Wow, what a ride! This week just came unglued somewhere around Wednesday, and I haven't stopped since. Nothing bad, just "life stuff" like doctor's appointments, shopping, and what-have-you. It will be a rainy weekend, and the wife and I plan to disappear for a day or two.

I did get signed up at the gym run by the Wellness Center at the hospital this week. $15 to join and $25 a month. I couldn't pass that up. I spent Thursday morning with the Exercise Physiologist working out my routine. They have stationary bikes, treadmills, and a StairMaster, plus a lot of weight machines for different mucle groups. They're open until 1am, so I can go by after work, which makes it very convenient, as the hospital is only about a mile from the school. My major goal is to lose 25 pounds. That will help a lot with blood sugar and cholesterol control. Maybe I can ditch some of this medication.

I promised Zette an article on small press publishing for the July/August Vision, so I'll be doing research and mental drafting on the stationary bike this afternoon. 30 minutes is a long time if you don't have something to occupy the mind. That's the major reason I don't stick with it.

Spring Quarter ends Monday, so I'll be working days for a couple of weeks. That will blow my schedule to Hell, but it's also nice to change things up every now and then. I'll also take a few days off at the end of June, which will also be welcome.

5 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger Heather Lynne said...

You earn a Scooby Snack! I'm going through the same thing right now. I can't afford a doctor (no insurance), but my knees are telling me that I can't stay at 220 anymore.

For the long sessions, you might want to try an audio book. I enjoy it.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Carter said...

It's the snacks that got me into this shape in the first palce. Heh. I'll have one when I lose a little.

Audio books would be great, but I just can't afford them right now. *pout* For now, I have to stick with reading and maybe music.

Good luck with your own battle.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Demented M said...

I'm looking forward to seeing an article from you on small press--should be interesting. Oh and I submitted a column to Romancing the blog where I link to your survey--hopefully they'll publish it. My essay was about how authors should blog about more than just writing to attract a diverse audience.

Good luck on the exercise, I usually buy trashy magazines (they lay better on equipment than books) and read those while I exercise.

The biggest thing is don't think about it, just do it. If you think you'll talk yourself out of it or spend the whole time going 'this sucks, I hate this' which is fruitless. Or at least I do anyways.

M

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Good luck with your workout! I joined a gym in October 2004 and have only been..ahem..twice. Yeah, I'm bad. But I've been busy! :)

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Carter said...

DM: Good luck on the RTB article. I look forward to reading that. On the exerciuse front, I have 2 problems: I tend to obsessively overdo and burn out and I'm easily bored. Trying to keep both of those in check is the biggest challenge.

Mik: The reason I've never joined a gym before is just that--I was afraid I would never go. This one is pay-as-you-go, so I have a monthly reminder that I have money in this, so I better do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home