Wednesday, July 06, 2005

5 Answers

Here are the rules: If you feel like playing, leave me a comment asking to be interviewed!

1. Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me.”

2. I will respond by asking you five questions. I get to pick the questions.

3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Stationery Queen asks, and I answer to the best of my knowledge and belief at this point in time.

1) What did you think you'd be when you grew up?

I'm still wondering about that. I have been through: preacher, archeologist (I still come back to that sometimes. I think it would be a blast.), musician (much desire, no talent at all), librarian (which I currently am), nuclear engineer, independently wealthy (hah! Don't we all!), but always, always, always, a writer of some sort.

That's what I wanted. What did I think I would be? Mature, intelligent, reasonable, empathetic, compassionate, and much wiser than I was a youth. Since I haven't grown up yet, I still have time to work on these.

2) Would you still write if you never got published EVER?

Heh. I have so far. Publication is a goal and a dream, but not strictly a necessity of life. Yes, I would still write, even if I never got published. The fun and satisfaction and fulfillment lies in using words to create new worlds and draw beauty into my life. I would like to share those words with the world, if possible, but I will always build my castles in the air for my own pleasure and education.

3) Who are your favorite female writers?

A real time bomb, huh? Stationery Queen obviously tops the list. ;-)

Seriously, though, Flannery O'Connor is a goddess without peer, and I worship the very air she breathed. Residing in the Choir of Seraphim are (in no particular order): All 3 Bronte sisters, Dorothy Parker, and Kate Chopin. Among living writers: Holly Lisle (a past and continuing inspiration and a damn good novelist), Tamara Siler Jones, Lynn Viehl, Joshilyn Jackson (a review of gods in Alabama is forthcoming), and Anne Rice (her early works, not the formula crap she writes now).

4) If you could re-write your personality traits, what would you change, if anything?

I'm in the process of changing some of them as a life project. I think fear is the controlling factor in most of what I do, and I hate that. I am mostly controlled by a 4-year-old boy who was traumatized and has been afraid of everything since then. One day, I hope to be able to comfort and soothe that little boy, and help him understand that the vast majority of his fears are groundless.

5) Are we having fun yet? :-)

Absolutely, positively, no doubt about it. The alternative is unspeakable. If you don't enjoy life, then it's hard to find a point to it. We have to find our enjoyment in the things we do: loving our families and friends, caring about those hungry or in pain, creating beauty, and working to make the world a little better in whatever way we can. That's fun.

1 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Stationery Queen said...

Excellent answers, Carter, and flattery will get you everywhere. :-) BTW, my inner fear monger is only 3. I tell her the same things -- they're groundless! and everything will be OK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home