Monday, July 04, 2005

5 Questions

Here are the rules: If you feel like playing, leave me a comment asking to be interviewed!

1. Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me.”

2. I will respond by asking you five questions. I get to pick the questions.

3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.


I realized it was not fair to ask questions of others that I am not willing to answer myself.


1.) What is your motivation as a writer? What drives you forward and carries you over the rough spots?

I have things I want to say. I have things I need to say. There are territories I want to explore and wonders I want to see. Is anybody listening? Does anybody care? In the end, that does not matter so much. I write for me, and I hope somebody out there gets some benefit from what I have to say. Fame and fortune would be nice adjuncts, but I must satisfy myself, or all else is "sound and fury, signifying nothing". What drives me forward and keeps me going? Knowing myself. Figuring out what is right and standing up for it. Shining my tiny spark of light into the vast darkness of the Universe to illuminate what I can see for others to see also.

2.) What other arts besides writing (music, paintings, sculptures, etc.) do you draw inspiration from in your writing?

Music and painting draw me into other worlds and show me things that I must convey to the rest of the world. The interplay of sounds in music and the interplay of light in paintings correspond in my mind to the interplay of words on the page. I often hear the music in words, see the light and shadow and color in a story of novel. I believe all these arts spring from a common source and are just different ways of telling our dreams.

3.) What would you like your epitaph to say?

Hoist by my own petard, as it were. Hmm.

"His quest for truth brought a little beauty to the world.
His quest for beauty brought a little truth to the world."

4.) What one genre would you like to write in that you haven't tried yet?

Just one? LOL! Pure science fiction is a genre I have always read and always been too intimidated to write. The giants in that genre are giants, indeed. I hope to make the attempt one day.

5.) What scares you most about writing?

Success. Failure I can handle. I am familiar with failure; there is a certain comfort level in knowing the territory. Success, though...

I guess my biggest fear is one that most, if not all, writers share. What if my novel is a huge success? What if I get that 3 book deal with huge advances? What if I sit at the computer and have no ideas, no words, nothing? Not being able to fulfill my perceived potential is a nightmare.

I dare you to let me ask you 5 questions. You can interview me in return. Any takers?

3 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger Demented M said...

I'm game!

M

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Stationery Queen said...

me, too.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

You and I have the same fear of writing - success. It scares the devil out of me too. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home