Saturday, July 16, 2005

Angels of Mercy

My grandmother died yesterday. At around 6pm, she refused her supper. Said she wasn't hungry. She drifted off to sleep and stopped breathing at about 6:15. She was 95. I miss her already.

Granny lived either in her own house or her own apartment until March of this year. All of her medical problems caught up with her all at once. She stayed in a Skilled Nursing Unit for a couple of weeks, then moved to a hospice for the last 4 months of her life.

The point of this post is that I wanted to talk a little bit about hospice workers. I have been around hospice counselors and nurses several times through the years, and I never cease to be awed by the depth of compassion and commitment they have. I can't imagine how hard it must be to go to work every knowing that every single one of your patients is going to die. I do know that the emotional and spiritual support they give their patients and the patients' families is far more precious than any Earthly treasure.

I know I often come across as something akin to a rhinoceros with porcupine quills, but deep, deep, down inside, I do have a heart. Today, my heart is full. It's full of sorrow, of course, but also full of comfort and a deep, abiding appreciation for those women and men who selflessly devote themselves to the emotional health and healing of their patients and their families. The next time you see a hospice worker, please give them a hug. You can tell them it's from me.

9 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Carter, I'm sorry to learn about your grandmother. Hugs to you and hospice workers everywhere.

I have never, ever, considered you to be a rhinoceros--with or without porcupine quills.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Demented M said...

Oh Carter--I'm so sorry. She must have been quite a woman, after all you are quite special and I'm sure she played a part in that.

Many, many big hugs to you and your family.

M

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Carter, so sorry to hear of your granny's passing. Hugs and thoughts to you and your family.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Stationery Queen said...

I'm sorry for your loss.
But 95... wow. That's a good, long life.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Debra Young said...

My sympathy and condolences to you and your family, Carter. d:

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Heather Lynne said...

Carter,

I'm sorry that I have been offline for a few days. I hope that my late sympathy will help. If ya' need to yell, scream, whatever, just hop on over.

Hugs and karma sprinklies,
Heather

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Holly said...

I'm so sorry, Carter. My condolences to you and your family. Grandmothers are hard to lose.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Thank you, everyone. Your sympathy and support are a great comfort.

It will take some time to adjust to the Granny-sized hole in our lives, but out memories and our mutual love and support will carry us through.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Tisha from Texas said...

Carter, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. No matter how old our relatives are, their absence is always difficult. God be with you and yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home