Thursday, July 07, 2005

Answers for PiroEyes

Great questions! Had to look into some dusty corners for answers. Thanks!

1. How easy or difficult is it to submit your work, and what gives you the courage to do it?

Submitting is hard, but it gets easier with practice. Sending my babies out into the world to fend for themselves makes me nervous. What if someone doesn't like them? What if they laugh at them and me?

As I improve my craft, and my confidence along with it, the submission process is slowly becoming a natural part of my writing life. I read what's being published, and I see that my stories are better than a lot of it. That knowledge conquers a lot of fears.

2. Is there are a book you've read that you wish you had written & why?

Just one? Oh, God!

I have to cheat on this one and consider The Lord of the Rings as a single book. LOTR gathers a lot of my themes in one place: love, honor, men and women rising above their faults and petty human concerns to make legends in the service of a cause much greater than themselves. This whole story is encompassed in a rich history and mythology that illuminates the characters and their actions and gives them more meaning. LOTR is one of those works that always makes me say "Damn! I wish I could write that story."

3. Are all the stories you write in the same genre, or mood, that you prefer reading? If not, how do they differ?

Although not everything I write is horror, there is always a very dark feel to my stories. I write about the dark side of life and people. I guess that's because I am trying so hard to understand that side of myself.

My reading is very eclectic. I'll read damn near anyting. While I do love a good horror story, I also read mainstream fiction, classic literature, poetry, a little romantic suspense, mysteries, courtroom dramas, medical dramas, non-fiction on any subject, personal essays, philosophy. Just whatever I can find, basically. When I was a kid, I read cereal boxes. I don't focus my reading solely on dark things. That would be just too depressing.

4. What's the biggest 'cost' that writing has had on your life so far?

Paradoxically, the biggest cost is also the biggest benefit. Writing has forced me to confront some very intense emotions and some very painful issues inside myself. I have written scenes so intense that I had to go lie in the bed and cry when I got through. Putting myself through that kind of emotional wringer hurts, but I come out the other side with a little better understanding of myself, and I am sometimes able to shine a little light into my closet and see that that particular monster is maybe not as fearsome as I had imagined.

5. If the person you are today could send a message to the kid you once were, what advice would you give him?

Hey, kid! Quit hiding in your room reading and get out into the world! Take some chances! See and feel and smell and hear all the wonderful, terrible things in the world. Make a fool of yourself, laugh, run, cry, live! Breathe sunshine! Drink rain! There's plenty of time to grow up later. You're a kid! Act like one!

Here are the rules: If you feel like playing, leave me a comment asking to be interviewed!

1. Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me.”

2. I will respond by asking you five questions. I get to pick the questions.

3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home