Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I Just Ain't As Young As I Used To Be

Friday night: found out Granny had died. Began logistical negotiations for trip to Knoxville.

Saturday: Worked until 1:00, went to gym. Back home to continue frantic preparations and plans. Threw clothes into overnight bag. Spent 2 hours gathering up all the small essentials I forgot the first time.

Sunday: Up at 4:30am. Rendezvous with my brothers. Head to Atlanta. Drop off brother's truck in downtown Atlanta (he is in training this week) at his hotel. High-speed run toward Tennessee. Arrived in Knoxville around 2:30. Quick rest. To funeral home for visitation from 4-6. Got lost. Got found. Got there about 4:30. Dinner afterward with family.

Sunday night: unfamiliar bed + stress = not much sleep + bad dreams

Monday: Head to cemetary for funeral. Got lost again. Got found again. Got there on time. 11:30 - funeral over, torrential deluge follows. Lunch for family provided by church. Good food. Good visiting. Many photographs. Back on Interstate around 1:30. Arrived downtown Atlanta at 5:00. Really bad idea. Dropped brother off at hotel. Sat in traffic. Sat in traffic. Sat in traffic. Sat in traffic. Got home about 8:30. Collapsed into bed.

I've been discombobulated and out of sorts ever since. I used to be able to bounce back after this kind of thing. These days, I don't bounce--I splat. Slowly scraping myself back into a reasonably compact pile.

4 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Jean said...

I did the "Sat in traffic. Sat in traffic. Sat in traffic." thing one Monday morning at around 0745 as I was driving through Atlanta one day. I don't recommend it, but sometimes, there just isn't any other way.

Glad you're back safely.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Heather Lynne said...

Discombobulated isn't what normally happens after a funeral. At least, not by the definition that I learned. LOL

Hoping to make ya' laugh,
Heather

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Carter said...

Jean - People who have not experienced Atlanta at rush hour don't know how lucky they are. One of these days, the whole city's going to gridlock, and they'll just have to pave over the mess and start over.

Heather - Thanks, sweetie. Granny lived a long, hard life, and earned her rest. I'm doing OK.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger PiroEyes said...

Sounds like a lot to take in & process, so be patient with yourself. Everything will be OK. Except for the traffic. That stays. Sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home