Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Rhinoceros Resurfaces

Despite what Jean thinks (thanks, hon, it was sweet of you to say that), I do resemble a rhinoceros. I'm somewhat large (6 feet, 220 lbs.), grumpy, have bad eyesight, and tend to charge anything that invades my space. I also have a thick skin.

Writers have to have rhinoceros skin. From the moment we say "I'm a writer", we have a bull's-eye on our foreheads and a "Kick Me" sign on our butts. Spilling our souls onto paper or into the Great Electron Sea puts us on public display.

All public figures are open to attack and will attacked. Guaranteed. Anything you say can and will be used against you viciously and with malice aforethought. This is a consequence of human nature. Too many people cannot stand to see anyone succeed. Many of them cannot stand to see anyone making the effort. "What makes you so special?", they ask, then proceed to spell out exactly what makes us not better than them.

I see far too many writers around who take deep offense at the thought that anyone could possibly disagree with them. Hey, you can't please everybody. Hell, sometimes, I can't please ANYbody. As a writer, though, I have to expect some people to complain that I'm "not doing it right" or that I'm "too gory" or "too blunt". Any time you put words out in public, somebody is going to disagree. Get used to it. It's part of the job.

4 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Well, when you say it *that* way, it's a *good* thing to be a rhinoceros. I'll bet you didn't know I petted a rhinoceros once. Yup. Several years ago in the San Antonio Zoo, one of their rhinos came over to the edge of her enclosure for me and turned side-ways to be petted from above. Definitely a Dr. Dolittle moment.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Carter said...

If she were to roll over on her back so you could scratch her tummy, it would be time to rethink the situation.

I'd be willing to bet you never petted a porcupine, though.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Jean said...

You would win that bet.

As for the rhino, she knew if she rolled over for me to scratch her tummy, I wouldn't have been able to reach her--the wall was too high. (Yes, of course, she told me all that...)

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Carter said...

Us rhinos ain't stupid, you know. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home