Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Good Work Day

1200 more words on "Sea Change". 600 yesterday. It's now just over 3000 words and approaching the climax. My "perfect" ending went into the shredder a couple of days ago when the story took a sharp left turn into the weird. More craziness on the way tomorrow. In my reply to Melly's comment on the snip the other day, I said that this is a story about change. More than I knew, apparently. It keeps changing course and throwing me off balance. Sometimes that's a good thing.

I'm trying an experiment with this story, a new way of working, and it's goign great so far. I am combining my Tarot fascination with my developing meditation habit to get past the fear roadblock. By drawing a card and then meditating on how that card relates to the story, I have been getting tremendous insight and clarity. It's both exhilarating and frightening. When I sit down to write, I feel like I'm plugged in to a 880-volt trunk line, like I tried to stick a vein and got a main artery instead. The words are just throwing themselves out so fast I can't keep up. They're good words, too. I think so, anyway. Keep your opinions to yourselves. ;-)

Words are magic. They are conduits for enormous power. The power of my words over me and my audience (assuming I can get the damn thing published) is both awe-inspiring and terrifying. I am bringing something into the world that has never existed before, a beast both fair and foul.

Melly also asked where this story came from. I have to admit I have no clue. This is one of the ones that just sprang into my mind late one night about three years ago. I had a vision of the final scene, the denouement, and the first sentence. It's been incubating ever since. Sometimes, I don't really want to know where these things come from. There are things hiding in the depths of my mind that should not be disturbed.

4 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Thumbs up! for a good work day. I re-read the snip and was struck again by the suspense that wafts just below the surface of all those innocent words. d:)

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Thanks, Debra!

Sometimes I wonder if keeping things just below the surface like that works against me. There is such a thing as being too subtle.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Melly said...

A very interesting process of writing you've got there. I can't say that I do anything similar.

The more you tell us about your story the more interesting it sounds. Isn't it amazing how the process itself becomes similar to what we're writing/trying to write?

And thanks for the linkback.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Hi Melly. We all have to discover our own writing process as we go along. It's also subject to change without notice. You're right about how it changes to suit the story. I think each story has its own personality and has to come out in its own way. One of the biggest challenges I'm facing at this point is to let the story develop as it has to, not as I want it to. I can, and should, guide the story, but I can't control it completely, or I lose contact with the subconscious voice that's telling it.

As far my process being different, I'm a very different kind of person. More unkind people say I'm weird. Well, OK. It works for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home