Thursday, August 25, 2005

Mo' Better

Another 700 words on "Sea Change" today. 3750 so far. One, maybe two more scenes to go, and I can call it finished in first draft. Today's scene was...umm...interesting. I see another theme emerging that reflects some of what's going on in my life right now.

This weekend, I'm going to make my first simultaneous submission. I've heald off on that so far for two reasons:

1.) It's too complicated to track.

AND

2.) I've held to a belief in exclusivity, letting one market have a chance at a time.

I have changed my mind. Hey, I'm allowed! As long as I don't go overboard, I will be able to keep up. The software I use will let me see what is where any time I want to, and, since I don't have an excessive number of stories circulating at any one time, I should be able to deal with it. As far as exclusivity goes, who has time for that? When it takes 3-6 months for a market to reply, that means only 2-4 markets will see this story in a year. Not enough. I would like to get something published sometime before I turn 90.

So, "Carrion Comfort" goes out to four markets this weekend. They all accept simulsubs, and 2 of them even encourage them. Ask and ye shall receive. I'm debating changing the title again, too. I don't really want to, because I think Hopkins's poem is really appropriate to this story. On the other hand, I'm afraid the title is turning people off. What to do, what to do...

3 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

I think it's a clever title suitable to the genre. I can't imagine that it would turn people off; they're reading horror, aren't they? d:)

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Oh yeah...great going on "Sea Change"! d:))

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Thanks, Debra! Actually, the reason I'm worried is that "Carrion Comfort" is not really horror any more. It has evolved into more of a dark mainstream story. I'm trying it on literary journals right now. I'm pretty sure they'll get it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home