Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Toddling

A couple more baby steps:

A review of Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles at Green Man Review.

"Google Tricks: Advanced Features that Let You Do More Than Just Search" now online at Associated Content. I have 2 more articles that should go live there sometime this week.

Writing for these 2 sites is more for name exposure and practice than anything else. Green Man Review only pays in the books they send me to review, and AC pays somewhere around 1-3 cents / word. While I'm working toward getting my fiction published, these reviews and articles and this blog give me a chance to get known to the world. Pretty cynical, huh?

OK, I have to admit that I really enjoy visiting with my 'Net-friends, so it's not all about marketing. And, I have to admit that I like the writing part some, too. A lot, actually. A whole lot. A real big old whole lot. A great big huge giant...you get the picture.

At the same time, in the back of mind, I have this notion that one day the fact that I have finished work out there available for an editor or agent to look at might possibly maybe (please, God!) mean the difference between acceptance and rejection. Realistic? Probably not, but we all have our fantasies that we hold on to so we can keep going even in the face of the reality of the publishing world.

Bought a copy of Anne Lamont's Bird By Bird on impulse over the weekend. She's a real hoot! She also says a lot of the things that I think. I'm about 50 pages in right now. Trying to stretch it out some while I wait for my copy of Talyn to get here.

3 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Demented M said...

Carter:

I've been trying to email you all morning--my computer keeps crashing. So a comment in your blog is my only option from work.

I have a miniarticle coming out tonight on Romancing the Blog that mentions and links to your survey. I wanted to let you know--also I hope the link is still good! I only got the email last night letting me know they were going to put up my column or else I would've given you more advance notice.

M

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Cool! The survey's still there, even though I said I wasn't taking any more responses (only got about 20 in June and 1 in July). Something to be said for being lazy, sometimes. :-)

It will be interesting to see what happens.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Demented M said...

Good! You might want to open it back up, I think you'll see traffic spike and you might get some more repsonses.

M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home