Thursday, August 04, 2005

Waiting...

I hate waiting to hear from markets about my submissions. I HATE it! I also hate writing query letters when somebody has had a story way beyond their published response time. I'm always afraid it will aggravate the editor, who will then reject my story just out of spite. I know only a very small percentage of editors would actually do such a thing (I think, I hope), but it still bothers me. On the other hand, I think I would rather go ahead and get the rejection, so I can get that story out to somebody else. Fish or cut bait?

I screwed up my courage last night and sent out query letters to 2 magazines. One of them I have queried before and received no response. I'm afraid I will have to withdraw my story from them if they don't respond soon. I wish they would at least tell me they still have my story, and it's in the slush pile. Anything. I feel like this. Maybe I should try that.

The usual advice is just to work on other things, and I am doing that, but I obsess about this. I feel like I'm teetering on the razor edge of success, and I want, no, need somebody to tell me either it's good or it sucks. It's the not knowing that drives me crazy. I'm not as good at patience as I used to be.

I submitted "Carrion Comfort" to Son and Foe Magazine last night. They're new; first issue is due out in November. They also have a 30-day response time: either "Yes", "No", or "Haven't got to it yet". I hope that's accurate.

Reading Bird by Bird has got me thinking that maybe I can pull off writing a novel after all. One of Lamott's points that she stresses is allow yourself to write shitty first drafts. That's what I need to do. Just let go and be bad. Write crap. That's what rewrites are for, right? TRying to talk myself into doing that.

God, I hate August. Temps in the 90's, humidity in the 60% range. Rain only makes it worse. No rain only makes it worse. Heat pumps don't work well in this kind of weather. Blows wet air. I feel like I'm mildewing. Just got to hold out until Labor Day. Head hurts, mood sucks mud, can't sleep. Gah!

4 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Blogger Heather Lynne said...

Hang in there, Carter. I just know that you can find something to do while you can't sleep. {wink}

Heather

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Melly said...

It's my first time here, and I agree, I don't like waiting either. But no one says we should wait. Just keep at it. Send new things to new markets.
And with regards to Son and Foe, I hope you didn't submit anything longer than 4000 worrds: they're overbooked in that category.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Carter said...

Thanks, Heather! Unfortunately most of what I think about doing at 3am is either illegal or beyond my physical capabilities. :-) I can usually find something to do. Heh heh.

Hi Melly. Glad you stopped by. Yeah, I'm still sending other stuff out, I just have an obsession about everything that's already out there. I'm also obsessive about reading and following submission guidelines. "Carrion Comfort" is 3500 words. May be pushing it a little too close, but it's under 4k.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Stationery Queen said...

I feel your pain! On all counts.

Hang in there!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home