Monday, August 29, 2005

Wasted Weekend

So Saturday afternoon I decided to finally sit down and fix all the DLL version conflicts that have been aggravating me for the past...ummm...6 years. My system is Windows 95 upgraded to Win98 upgraded again to Win 98SE. Yeah, it was a mess. And no, I'm not going to get 2000 or XP or whatever-the-Hell-piece-of-shit Microsoft is pushing today. 98SE is mostly stable, and I can work around the few glitches it does have, and it has all the features and does everyting I need an operating system to do which is mostly stay the Hell out of my way. So there. :-b

Anyway. Anybody that's been around Winduhs can guess how this went. NOT TOO GOOD!!! Let's just say that I got everything more or less working before I left for work this afternoon. Actually, just about everything is working way better than before, including some software that I had never been able to get working until now. Maybe it was all worth while.

Problem. I seem to have lost all formatting in my Word documents. The text is still there, but all bold, italics, tabs, headers, etc. is gone. All of it. Luckily, this doesn't affect my manuscripts, because I long ago made a template using Courier New 12 and all the fancy substitutions turned off. A lot easier to cut and paste into Web forms that way. Oh well, it's done now, and it only too most of 3 days. Whew!

Needless to say (but I'm going to say it anyway. It's my blog and I'll do what I want), I got crap done on any writing. "Sea Change" is at a critical point right now. I think I need one more scene to push Brent right to the edge. The cards have been trying to tell me something, but I'm just not getting it. I'll keep trying tonight and in the morning.

Also trying to get some plants started for the fall garden. Everything except peppers and okra is pretty well played out now, and it's time to start getting cool-weather stuff ready. It's just awful hard to get out and do garden work in this heat. Ugh.

3 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger Melly said...

I hear ya and feel for ya.
I have an old (1998) laptop with win 98 and I want to upgrade it to 98se 'cause other wise I can't get any wifi software on it. I've been wanting to upgarde it for a while now but I dread the moment. Plus, each time I start tinker with my computer(s), I end up working on it for a few days and not writing anything.

(not to mention the time I simply totalled the mother board).

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Really the best strategy is to format and start over, but I have always had way too much weird software to want to do that. It was hard enough to make it work the first time. This kind of crap is the very reason I don't do that for a living any more.

And always remember: There ain't no such thing as too many backups!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

That's the thing about computers. You go to change one LITTLE thing and it has a snowball effect. I like XP. I use it here at home and at work. However, everytime we upgrade, it's a massive ordeal for about 3 days. Must be standard - 1/2 day to install the shit and the rest to fix f-ups. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home