Saturday, September 17, 2005

Cioppino

Holly rants about moderation and common sense. Yeah, I beat my head against brick walls, too, darling. See my previous comments about lost causes and slaying windmills.

Melly spreads the good word about the Writers Blog Alliance. This is an excellent effort towards mutual support and promotion for writers. Check it out. It's free, for now.

Zette posts a link to LibraryThing.com, where you can catalog your book collection for free. That's a hell of a thing to do to a librarian, Zette. That's going to through my article on character development for short stories way behind schedule. So there.

And finally, Heather comments on the threads that tie us all together.

That one hit close to home. Real close. Many times in my life I have wanted nothing so desperately as to just shut down, just curl up and go catatonic for a day, a week, a month, forever, try to shut out the noise and confusion and stress and figure things out and, most of all, just rest. Several times I have even tried, but, every time, those damn threads tighten up, they pull me upright and dangle me in the air, a marionette dancing to the Devil's tune, until I get my balance, put my feet on the ground and get going again.

"No man is an island," as John Dunne so poetically said. We are tied to our family, our friends, each other. Sometimes the threads get tangled, sometimes they break, sometimes we think they are going to strangle us or wrap us up so tight we can't move. Sometimes they are our lifelines. Sometimes those fragile threads are all we have hang on to while we dangle over the abyss. Sometimes they pull us back whether we want them to or not.

There have been times when I have cursed those threads, tried to cut them, to get free, but those who are bound to me are tenacious. They don't let go, no matter how hard I try. Sometimes I curse them and beg them to just let me die. Most of the time, I feel how blessed I am to have people in this world who care about me. Even I, wart-covered insignificant me, have ties to love and support. There are angels in the world.

7 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Blogger Joel said...

Thanks for all the links. Now my writing's gonna suffer :)

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Heather Lynne said...

I'm think we are like minded souls, Carter.

You post brought tears to my eyes. You said what I was feeling both more plainly and elegantly than I did. Could you pass some of that talent over here?

Heather

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Melly said...

Carter, where to start?
First, thanks for the links. I had to go and read them all.
Second, thanks for the plug :)
Third, thank you and Heather for reminding me of my threads.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Wow. Thanks, Carter. Not just for the link to Heather's post about Threads, but for your comments as well.

I may just print them out to put someplace where I can see them, to remind myself on the bad days that I'm not alone.

Thanks. I think I needed to hear that.

Eponin

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Jean said...

What a beautiful duet of words you and Heather composed today. As I mentioned to Heather, keep that beautiful melody your pulse plays going as long as possible. Some days, it's harder than hell, but don't ever give up.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Heather Lynne said...

Fish stew?

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Carter said...

Misery loves company, Joel. :)

Heather, it's not so much talent, I think, as a willingness to tear my heart out and smear it on the page.

Cioppino is a king od Italian mulligatawny, whatever you have lying around goes in the pot.

Just strying to spread the word about WBA, Melly. That's the kind of thing I can really get behind.

Joy, we all need to be reminded sometimes that we'rer not alone, no matter how lonely we feel. Stay aware of those threads and know that help and comfort are only a tug away.

Thanks, Jean. The song goes ever on and on, to mangle Tolkien. I hope to be singing for many years yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home