Monday, September 26, 2005

Damn the Torpedoes!

No more retreating, launghing a new offensive. I know, I know, as if I weren't offensive enough already. Keep your snide comments to yourselves. :-)

Wound up having no Internet the entire weekend. Oh well. It's probably for the best. It'll just take a few days to catch up.

I took the opportunity to read through everything I have on Washed in the Blood. Damn, it's good. It has problems, sure, what first draft doesn't? Especially the first draft of a first novel. If I start listening to that voice again that tells me it's shit, y'all kick my ass until I wake up, please. Got nearly 5000 new words over the weekend, and over 1000 so far today. The thrill is back, the story progresses.

I also finished another review for GMR (I also have a new review up of Caitlin R. Kiernan's To Charles Fort, With Love). This one is less than glowing. Horror writers need to wake up and realize that just because it's horror is no excuse for poor craft. In this case, the characterization is absolutely abominable. It's basically a bunch of paperdoll morons running around getting eaten. A major author, too. Another bridge burnt, I guess. Oh well. I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Y'all keep 'em straight up there.

4 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Melly said...

Welcome back :)

Glad to hear it went well, now I feel like trying it myself. For me the key would be - no internet.

I don't read much horror, but I think that characterization is key in horror. The reader must feel the characters, or there's no horror, right?

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Carter said...

I can recommend a cheap motel room where nobody knows you for getting your concentration back. The lack of Internet is a good thing in at a time like this. No excuses.

Characterization is key in any genre. If you don't care about the characters, why bother? There's no point to the story. Even in plot-driven stories, bad characters turn readers off. I just can't condone that from a professional writer, no matter what they write. I nhorror, it's essential that the readers care about the characters. You're right. Without that, it's just rubber monsters. Again, no point.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Vernieda said...

I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

And as usual, she reacts quite publicly in her livejournal.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Good thing I wear asbestos underwear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home