Thursday, November 03, 2005

Still Kicking

I'm feeling a little asocial these days. Just not in mood to be around people for some reason. Physically, I'm doing great. The new medication is kicking my blood sugar's ass. I'm cutting back on the nighttime insulin a little bit. My doctor wants to get me off it altogether, and I'm going to do everything in my power to help him.

Mama's a lot better. They may release her tomorrow. We know she's feeling better because she's grumpy and ragging on the nurses. She was an RN for around 40 years and thinks she knows everything about medicine. Don't they all? Anyway, we're all relieved to see her getting better.

I've been writing some really horrific stuff lately. Bad, nightmare stuff. Better to get it out, though. The novel is progressing in fits and starts. "Sea Change" revision is almost done. Just one more scene. I knocked out a flash story, "Garlic Chicken at the End of Time", and entered it in the wee small hours contest. It was a lot of fun, but I don't really expect it to win anything. It's up against some real heavy hitters. I'm almost finished with the detailed outline/rough draft of "That Others May Live" that is aimed at the Dead of Winter contest at Toasted Cheese. It will be a compelling story about honor and sacrifice if I can just stay true to the story and not back away when it gets hard. Been working on "What Dreams May Come" as well. Almost done there, too. Work is progressing, words are falling out, ideas are slouching toward Bethlehem.

Maybe I'll have something actually useful or interesting to say in a day or two.

3 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger Melly said...

I'm glad to hear your mother's doing better. I wish her the best of health.

I get writing fits like this too, when I write "horrific" stuff. I'd be curious to hear if you actually end up using any of these parts, I tend to chuck them...

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Carter said...

It remains to be seen if I'll have the guts to use it. I chicken out a lot. Some of it's really, really bad.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Glad to know your mother is doing better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home