Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Update and a Quick Christmas Rant

The doctors determined that Mama was too weak to undergo a catheterization, much less any exploratory or reconstructive surgery. So. She's coming home this afternoon. Now we wait. Days, weeks, even years. I already cringe at the sound of the telephone, a leftover neurosis from the anxiety-based psychosis that put me in the loony bin a few years back. Now, I live in dread of that 3am phone call that I know will come, I just don't know when.

Suspense is great in novels. It's what pulls the readers in and keeps them attached to the story. In real life, it really sucks. My life needs a TiVo.

And now, a few words the Grinch:

Anybody out there who fancies themselves a singer, I have a Christmas request. Actually, 2 requests. Actually demands.

1. When you sing "O Holy Night", just sing the song. Your trills and filigress and warbles do not add anything to it. They only mean that either you wouldn't recognize real beauty if it beat you up and stole your lunch money or you can't carry a tune in a galvanized bucket. Or both. This song does not need your help. It is one of the most beautiful songs ever written just as it stands. Pleas, please, don't torture it and us with your egotistical efforts.

2. If your voice does not have the power to pull the listeners up out of their seats when you hit "Fall on your knees...", don't even start. You cannot sing this song. All you can do is embarrass yourself. Those people who recognize their limitations are the most successful in life. Learn from them.

Thank you. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.

2 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Melly said...

I've always said that I want a boring life. Indeed, interest is good for books but not for real.

At least she is home, in her familiar environment, surrounded by those who love her. I know it's little comfort, but it's something.

Hugs.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Mama Rose said...

{{{hugs}}} for you, your mom, and your family. I'll put you all on my prayer list.

Now, about O Holy Night--if you can't reach the high notes, you're singing in the wrong key. I'm an alto. Unless I'm really warmed up, I can't sing those notes. But put it in the right key for my voice, and it sounds fine. As for the trills, etc., they're wonderful from a well-trained singer. It's the ones without the training who think they can do it that I have problems with. lol :)

Linda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home