Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Let the Boy Speak

Here's a brief snippet from one of my assignments for the 2YN class at Forward Motion. It got away from me a little bit and doesn't quite fit the assignment, but I kinda like it.

A lot of people consider my style of writing to be florid and over the top. I certainly don't claim to be Hemingway, nor do I completely subscribe to his philosophy of writing. This is my voice. It expresses my thoughts in a way that I find pleasing. You can't possibly please everybody, and trying to fit your voice into someone else's vision of what it should be will only leave your writing flat and boring. You have to let yourself go, speak in your own voice, be true to your own vision. That's my opinion, for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary. Do not use near heat or open flame.



I stood across the street and leaned against a lamppost, listening. The tenor sax screamed into the night, hoarse and raw with passion. The piano tinkled and twirled, dancing over, under, around, and through, weaving a teasing harmony and leading the saxophone onward. The guitar was smooth, almost unnoticeable, satin sheets and cool wine. Ringing cymbals and rattling snares lit the music with flickering firelight, and, underneath it all, the bass guitar thumped a ever more frantic heartbeat, driving the intensity ever upward.

I've never been much for bars, but this music tugged at me, insisting that I get closer, investigate the magic that filled the darkness. I crossed the street, dodging a taxi along the way, and pulled the door open. The sound embraced me and pulled me inside. The bar was dim and smoky, as these places tend to be, and the band stood on a small, brightly-lit stage at one end of the room.

The sax player immediately commanded my attention. He swayed and bobbed, legs apart,eyes half-closed. Sweat dripped from his red face like a river of tears. The sounds his horn made rose from a soul-deep well and rolled over us, as irresistible as an ocean tide.


5 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Blogger Heather Lynne said...

I love it!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Thanks!

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Ronn said...

As easily distracted as I am, it pulled me through to the last word and left me wanting more. So you get the big thumbs up from me.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Mary Louisa said...

I love jazz. I think you've done a wonderful job depicting the sensual pull of the music.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Thanks Ronn!

Thanks, Mary Louisa! I think you have to experience jazz. You miss a lot if you only listen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home