Thursday, February 02, 2006

The New Paradigm

My post the other day about publishers discovering the Internet stirred up some dust bunnies in the old attic. After the sneezing subsided, I managed to corral a few of them and arrange them in some semblance of order.

Those of use who did not grow up with the Internet often have a hard time adapting our thinking to the new reality. A 'Net-centric world functions differently than I am used to. Things are not always cut and dried. Connections spring up and vanish in the flash of an electron. Virtually instantaneous communication and short attention spans make marketing far more difficult than it used to be while opening up vast opportunities for innovation.

I have always taken a Bull-in-a-China-Shop approach to life. Damn the torpedoes, I'm coming through! That is not always a good thing. The electronic world demands more finesse, faster footwork than I can handle much of the time. Illusion is prevalent, and I don't always know where I stand anymore. For an old hide-bound rhinoceros like me, that's really uncomfortable.

I guess my major point, if I even have one, is that I can empathize to a certain degree with the major publishing houses. Recognizing the possibilities and jumping fast enough and far enough to capture them is hard for old fogies like us. The old-fashioned ways of doing business are good enough anymore, though. Adapt or die is frighteningly real these days. We can do it, but damned if I'm not going to complain about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home