Friday, March 24, 2006

The Agony of Success, the Thrill of Defeat

My fantasy short "A Time to Every Purpose" made the quarter-finals in L. Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future contest. According to the e-mail from the Contest Administrator, that means it placed in the top 10-15% of all entries received for that quarter. The judges were Anne McCaffrey, Robert Silverberg, Yoji Kondo, Algis Budrys and K.D. Wentworth, so I feel pretty good about that. Now I'm off to research markets and see who's accepting fantasy right now. This one needs a good home.

I never cease to be puzzled by the way we writers get so much pleasure from "good" failures like this, yet our successes leave us afraid that we will never be able to equal them again. There's a really interesting psychology at work there. I think it really is a case of the journey meaning more than the destination.

Maybe it's just me, though. Anybody that's been around here very long know what a complete weirdo I am. Well, I'm off to celebrate my failure and stress about the possibility of success. What a life.

3 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Congrats on your quarterfinals success.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Melly said...

So now we have to congratulate you on your "failure". You're hilarious, Carter and congrats.
It is quite an achievement!
:)

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Thanks, Jean and Melly. It really is an accomplishment, and I'm proud of it, but it's kind of like losing the Super Bowl (or Stanley Cup for you furriners) (Melly). It 's really great to get there, but a letdown not to win. Just wait 'til next year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home