Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Long and the Short Of It

I hit 25k on Washed in the Blood this morning. The way things are developing, it looke like I may not even make 50k on the first draft. My characters have begun that last desperate slide into the maelstrom that will lead them to their individual Armageddons.

It's normal for me to write short. Mt first drafts frequently resemble a detailed narrative outline than a real story. My intention, particularly with my first real attempt at a novel, is to just get the main points and events down. Until I finish a second draft, everything is subject to change without notice. In terms of shitty first drafts, this one reeks most exquisitely. The potential for roses is in there, though.

I still have some sub-plots to develop, and one of the characters has stepped up and become a little more important than I originally intended, so he will have to be developed some more. He's a detective who has carried a torch for Maggie since he first met her years ago. He never really liked John and now wants to nail his hide to the wall in his trophy room. He'll be a good stick to use to stir the pot some more.

I'm glad to be back to work on this story. It means a lot to me, even if it does carry into dangerous territory from time to time. I have a real love/hate relationship with it. When I'm writing on it, I know it's going to be good, but when I get interrupted, I develop a great fear that it really is unredeemably excremental. I must keep telling myself that it's not supposed to be any good yet and to keep slogging forward.

Oh well, off to the salt mines. I have to at least act like I'm working until 10 o'clock. yay.

2 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Congrats on hitting 25k. Love/hate. Sounds like you're hitting meaningful issues. I consider that a good sign. Keep up the good words.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Thanks, Jean. They're meaningful to me, at least. This story addresses some questions that affect me deeply. Sometimes, though, I'm afraid of what the answers might be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home