Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Catching Up On My, uh, Research

First, Melly and tambo did it, so I'm going to jump off the cliff, too:

Reading Level Results (generated by Juicy Studio)

Total sentences 393
Total words 2401
Average words per Sentence 6.11
Words with 1 Syllable 1658
Words with 2 Syllables 474
Words with 3 Syllables 182
Words with 4 or more Syllables 87
Percentage of word with three or more syllables 11.20%
Average Syllables per Word 1.46
Gunning Fog Index 6.93
Flesch Reading Ease 77.31
Flesch-Kincaid Grade 3.99

I don't know whether to be relieved or insulted. I really thought I was being oh-so-very erudite. Guess I'll have to settle for being understandable after all.

Then Paperback Writer posted about the Blog Name Generator. She found the link on The Generator Blog. Here are my results (snide comments added by Your Faithful Author):

Noise in the Attic Crossing -- Please observe all traffic safety laws.
Noise in the Attic Pit -- A little inverted confusion.
Noise in the Attic Boulevard -- I bet it is noisy. The traffic's a b*tch!
Noise in the Attic Amnesia -- Who? Huh? What was that?
Noise in the Attic Crossroads -- Just pick one, they all wind up at the same place.
Noise in the Attic Vacancy -- Definitely.
Noise in the Attic Pollution -- OK, no need to get insulting here.
Noise in the Attic Scoop -- Don't forget the kitty litter.
Noise in the Attic Junction -- Enough, already! I get the picture!

5 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger HawkOwl said...

Don't be sad - I got more or less the same results on the readability stats. I think running the stats on a blog page gives misleading results. If you're using Microsoft Word, you can get some of these stats from the grammar checker. That will give you a better idea where your actual writing really sits.

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Melly said...

Your indices are much better than mine so I'd say your erudite writing is coming through ;)

I liked one name I got - Writing Incognito - what do you think?

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Carter said...

You're right, HawkOwl. Like tambo said, blog writing is very different from fiction writing. More relaxed and conversational. I find myself in disagreement with Microsoft's grammar suggestions so often, I don't really trust them. I guess I'm just too hard to please. ;)

Melly, the last time I was in Cognito, I found it to be a friendly place, very conducive to writing. You can be a lot more open and honest when you're in a place where nobody knows your name.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger HawkOwl said...

Microsoft's grammar suggestions are really more for business writing than personal or creative writing. I never follow them either. And the dictionary isn't geared for non-business use either. You have to take it with a grain of salt.

I ran the grammar check on my NaNoWriMo just to get at the readability stats and I get "grade 5.1." Wow. I used to hit approximately grade 9... But that's when I wrote with "style." Nowadays I hate style, I try to "keep it real."

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Carter said...

YAYYYY!!!! Another soul snatched from the Demons of Academe!

Style is awful hard to sell. Substance is what matters most. Ya gotta put some steak with that sizzle, as they say. I'm still fighting with that some myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home